How to come to Rovaniemi ?
– BY PLANE : Rovaniemi has an airport located at 12km from city center. It is well served with Europe countries and Helsinki, and during the high season there are even direct flights from some capitals of Europe.
Different companies : Finnair / AirFrance / Norwegian / KLM / Ryanair
– BY TRAIN : Rovaniemi is served by a train station. From Helsinki to Rovaniemi, is about 12h by train (can be night train also).
– BY BUS : You can reach Rovaniemi by bus from Helsinki also. The bus station is near city center.
Where to sleep ?
Many options to find the appropriate accommodation for your stay. Hotels, special accommodations, house renting..
– Air BnB or Booking : you will find a lot of different accommodations. I recommend you to find one near the city center to enjoy the easy access of services. If you want to find a traditional chalet in the middle of the nature, you will probably need to rent a car.
– Hotels : Here is a list of the main hotels in city center (good location) : Arctic Light Hotels / Arctic city hotel / Scandic Rovaniemi city / Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna / Santa’s hotel / Scandic Pohjanhovi / Hostel Cafe Koti / Haawe / Aakenus
– Special accommodations : A bit out of the city center (about 8km) : Santa’s igloos Arctic Circle / Arctic Tree House / Glass resort
I will recommend you to find an accommodation including a sauna to enjoy the Finnish culture and to warm up after a long day in the coldness.
During the high season, the price of accommodations is getting higher, and the places are limited (need to book in advance).
Where to eat ?
– Nili restaurant : traditional food in a warm decor. During the high season I recommend to book in advance
– Sky Hotelli : A good restaurant with a panoramic view on the top of the hill
– Roka street bistro : possible to try the salmon soup or reindeer sandwich…
– Cafe 21 : sweet or salty waffles (salmon), salmon soup…
– Pure burger : you can try the reindeer burger and more…
– Gustav Kitchen bar : elaborate dishes at an affordable price
– Santa Salmon place : located in Santa Claus Village, you can enjoy the salmon meal cooked with fire in a wooden hut